Friendly Encounters

This is another in a series of meetings of my friends and celebs.

Today I am highlighting the man who got me started in the sports collecting hobby by getting me my first autographs, my dad Frank. He had no idea what he started.
I remember him coming from from a neighborhood athletic banquet. Back in those days, it was common for Chicago athletes to make extra c
ash by doing the banquet circuit. This was also well before the autograph boom.
He handed me the program and pointed out 2 signatures. One was from Billy Williams of the Cubs and one was Tom Bradley from the Sox. I studied those signatures. They fascinated me. I was hooked. It was the middle of winter, but I made my dad promise that we could go to a baseball game early so I could try to get more of these magical signatures.
Anyway, fast forwarding about 30 years, my dad met NFL journeyman James Parrish. Parrish played for a few NFL teams in the 90's.
Parrish was a member of two Super Bowl teams -- the 1994 Cowboys who beat Buffalo, and the 1996 Steelers who lost to Dallas. Parrish also played in the World League and in the Canadian League.
My dad got a kick out of trying on Parrish's large Super Bowl ring. He also got a kick out of finally appearing in a picture with an athlete, putting him only a couple hundred behind me!
Frank Wroblewski and James Parrish in Chicago, IL-mid 90's.