David Naughton WAS a Pepper

As has been well-documented in previous posts, I usually like the lesser-known roles of many of the actors I meet. Such is the case with David Naughton.
Naughton's most famous role is probably as David Kessler in An American Werewolf in London. While I really liked that movie, I remember Naughton more for his singing in the Dr. Pepper ads and for his hit record Makin' It (which also became a tv series, in which he starred).
When I met Naughton for the first time, I brought up the Dr. Pepper ads. Naughton seemed to try to gloss over my reference. Then I said I could have asked about Makin' It and he politely changed the subject to his other work, like the tv series My Sister Sam. I said I was very aware of his body of work, but I really liked him right from the start (namely the 'Be a Pepper' ads).
I don't know why celebs would downplay any of their work, especially at a Hollywood Collectors Convention. Naughton even had pictures from his Dr. Pepper ads which you could have him sign. Naughton has had a solid body of work, but none of it is great theater, so why frown on any of it? Strangely, in interviews, Naughton credits the Dr. Pepper ads with "putting him on the map".
I have since met Naughton a few more times and he seemed to have loosened his stance on his Pepper days. I think too many people mention this part of his career for him to try to ignore it. We actually had a laugh about this in Indianapolis (but I'll save that for another post).
David Naughton and me in Rosemont, IL-early 00's.