TUNE Fan and Slime



Its been a great summer so far. I know a lot of times I do not make my blog really personal, but sometimes I just feel like writing. All summer I have been working on spending a lot of time making new designs, promoting my work, and creating new products for the online store. Ultimately I'm preparing and anxiously awaiting my next trip to Japan later this summer. While blogging, working, etc, I have been intentional on keeping up with my favorite blogs, and street fashion web sites, not only to keep up with what's new, but to be inspired. (For example the ridiculous amount of updates on my tumblr last month).

One thing I've noticed recently that a lot of bloggers and street fashion web sites are posting images of people with unnaturally colored hair. Sure, there are always kids who choose to put blue, purple, or green in their hair, but it seems especially within the past couple of years, Its been popping up on the blogosphere a lot more. Growing up, unnatural hair color was always a bit frowned upon. I can understand why, as most of the people I came in contact with had it done in a way that looked really cheap and trashy. However, recently I've seen a lot of really cool hairstyles that mix bits of color into hair.I love it when its done tastefully.

As a lot of you know, I'm not only really inspired by street fashion, (especially in Tokyo) but by the late 80's, early 90's, and grunge-y Nickelodeon types of cartoons.
In the latest issue of FRUiTS magazine, a lot of people particularly had green in their hair. Personally, I love it! Its like the Nickelodeon slime/ninja turtles look incorporated into daily life.




One thing that keeps me interested and constantly looking at Japanese street fashion is not only the fact that it is always changing, but mostly because a lot of it is just kids that truly want to mix their hobbies, inspirations, and even favorite items into their style. Personal expression can be fun when its not about impressing somebody by the brand you wear, but wearing what you truly love, because it is an expression of you.

These new illustrations are inspired by things such as the early Rugrats cartoons, FRUiTS and TUNE magazine, New Wave 80's surf and skate textiles, Oversized glasses, and SLIME! Why not?