Seasons in the Sun

Mike Cunnally joined Lerner Newspapers as an Account Executive. As our softball team's elder statesman, he was sort of our Omar Vizquel.
Despite his veteran status, Cunnally was our starting shortstop and he usually played in jeans. Usually when you see a player in jeans (especially a slightly older player), you think he is a last minute sub and probably not that good. Cunnally was an exception to that rule.
Long after our softball years, Cunnally left Lerner to go to the Sun-Times (Lerner's parent corp). I didn't like seeing him leave. A very young staff, like Lerner had, could use the calm, veteran leadership which Cunnally provided.
In my final days at Lerner, I was forced to visit the Sun-Times for an 'interview'. I dreaded the whole concept and just wanted to leave it all behind. As I pulled up to the Sun-Times building, I ran into Cunnally. It was nice to see a friendly face. We talked for a few minutes (enough to take off some of my edge).

The 'interview' went as expected. Yet, I guess it was worth it, because I did leave it all behind and I got to catch up a bit with my former teammate.
Mike Cunnally in Laramie Park in Skokie, IL-Mid 1990's.