Meeting Mike Squires

I have previously written about Mike Squires. Mike Squires was a slick fielding 1st baseman for the Chicago White Sox while I was growing up. His defense and versatility kept him in the league for 10 seasons. His bat prevented him from becoming a full-time starter.
Last weekend, I had the chance to meet Squires for the first time. Technically, I met him a couple other times at Comiskey, but those meetings were quick handshakes or greetings, nothing more than any fan got from any ballplayer. Last weekend, I really met him.
I arrived late in the show and his line was pretty much done. I heard he drew a large number of people. Because it was near the end of his time slot and nobody was behind me, we got to talk for a bit.
Squires is currently a Special Assistant to the GM for the Cincinnati Reds. He looks in good enough shape to grab a glove and display the fielding form which won a Gold Glove in 1981. He was happy to be back in Chicago and to be greeted by so many fans.
I first cheered for Squires way back in 1975. Now 34 years later, I finally got to meet my baseball hero. If my old friend Ed reads this, he probably will be thinking that maybe now I will finally shut up!
Don't count on that.
Mike Squires and me in Rosemont, IL-July 2009.