Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society (GCWS)

This Wednesday was the monthly Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society meeting. It was “out with the old and in with the new” as we installed a new president and paid tribute to our out-going president, Sandy Maudlin, whom some of you know.

I was in Sandy’s first watercolor class she taught in this area, so I’ve known her many years and have watched her grow as an artist and a teacher.

Some years ago she was invited to give a workshop in Savannah, GA and she invited me and another friend to go along to act as “go fers”. (What the heck – a free trip to Savannah – I’m in!!) I can still remember sitting her paintings up around the room and being absolutely amazed at the progression they represented. There were the paintings I had admired a few years before alongside her more recent endeavors – it was like watching an evolution - just amazing!

While I will probably never achieve the same level of art that Sandy has, I can now see that same progression in my own paintings!

No matter where our lives take us, my thanks to her for opening up my world in ways I could never have imagined all those years ago.

And, by the way, congrats to our new “Madame President”, Shirley Knollman, who I know will do a great job. Shirley is energetic and gregarious and will make the next two years of the GCWS a fun ride!