It took me 30 years to make that one

by Patty Lakinsmith

Have you shown and sold your work at art fairs? If so, you might have a chuckle at this 3.5 minute little animated YouTube video, "Potter at an Art Fair". While the artist in the video is a potter, he could easily represent any kind of artist, even a jewelry maker.



It's easy to laugh at this if you've been through it as an artist. I've personally encountered a few customers like this myself, but fortunately only a few. If it were more it would be very frustrating.

The poor potter in the video tries to do everything right. He emphasizes that the work in his booth is handmade, and tries to convey the value through describing the amount of work that is involved in creating it. He doesn't give in to the shopper's desire to barter, and she moves on. Unfortunately, this customer is only looking for cheap finds, and would be better off at a flea market.

Depending on the venue, I usually assume that the shoppers entering my booth think that I went to the bead store and bought the beads used in my jewelry. Some have even asked me that and I'm quick to tell them that no, I make each and every bead by hand using a propane and oxygen torch, and glass rods imported from Italy. That usually slows their browsing speed immediately, as they take a closer look at my work with new eyes. I watch to see which pieces capture their attention, and then try to engage them a little by explaining the techniques I used to create the piece. Yes, I get questions about whether it comes in another color (blue?), and once I even had someone try to barter with me on the price (it was a very expensive piece), but by then they know that the piece was created by hand, and would not be found in any store.

I also have a digital photo frame I use that shows pictures of myself in the studio making beads, and it helps them to understand the process. I've even shown videos on my laptop before and that can really draw a crowd. Demonstrations are a great way to educate.

By and large nearly all of the shoppers I've encountered have been friendly and polite, and interested in the process I use to create my work, and I love getting out of the solitary confines of the studio and interacting with them. If they leave my booth with a better understanding of the value of handmade jewelry I'm happy.

Have you encountered shoppers like the one in the video? Do you have any special techniques you'd like to share for helping them understand that your work is not comparable to things they might find at a yard sale or flea market?

If you'd like some more laughs, check out this one on art fair neighbors, and this one on translating an artist statement.