OCULAR MIGRAINE

Periodically I get something called an ocular migraine – had one today. I know it’s coming when my vision blurs right in the center. The first time this happened to me I was freaked out, didn’t know if I was going blind or having a stroke. A call to my ophthalmologist calmed me down. Now, I can’t say I’m used to having them, but at least they don’t freak me out (as much!).
As I said, it begins with a blur in the center of my vision. This turns into something like a cross between a prism and a kaleidoscope - jagged edges. This image gradually widens and spirals outward – so after a few minutes I can read – but with this image blurred and gradually moving away at the outer edges of my sight. (Think of looking at a TV screen or a book page with a kaleidoscope superimposed over it, moving outward).
I now know that the whole process takes about a half hour to dissipate. Since I will see this image whether my eyes are open or closed, depending on how busy I am, I either: sit quietly with my eyes closed and let the process go – just watching the pretty images spread slowly and enjoy the show; or wait a few minutes until it has moved far enough that I can read, etc.
I usually don’t have any problems afterward although on occasion I get a slight, dull headache for a little while.
And now I have “floaters” in my left eye. Very annoying.
Just thought I’d share.
(Between the vertigo, floaters and migraines, guess there’s a doctor visit in my future).