NICK SIMMONS WORKSHOP


Well, if you ever need directions in Kettering, OH I can help! After being driven around there for 4 days this week I feel like I know the place – and it’s a beautiful area!
That’s where the Nick Simmons workshop was held – a great facility at Town and Country Mall – large, airy and well lit room with much natural light coming in through the plate glass windows fronting on the mall corridor.
Many thanks to Leonard Williams  for his hard work, as well as to Rosie Huart  and Karen Benedetti  – not only good artists but good bakers as well! Met several very nice ladies at the workshop, too, and reconnected with some others.
And it was so great to finally meet Nick Simmons in person!  I’ve heard so much about him over the past few years. (I have read articles about him and purchased his DVD – and he will have another one coming out soon!) He is a very giving teacher – no “secrets” held back. But just to make sure that I do not overstep my bounds - all I’m going to say is that I learned A LOT from this workshop (although you won’t be able to tell that from the paintings I made while there)!

My drawing taped and miskited
                                 
Working at it!
Also - seems that I left my SD card at home in my printer so I took an empty camera with me. (Not the brightest bulb!). These photos of my pathetic painting were sent to me by Rhonda so I could have something to show here!  We used Nick's reference and followed along - but, of course, they are all such different paintings!
You will have to click over to Rhonda’s blog to learn more of the specifics – she brought her camera and took lots of photos and you know what a great blogger she is!!!
We had a great time - learning, laughing, talking and eating!  My recommendations for any workshop (other than those that Rhonda spells out!) are to go ready to make a fool of yourself and laugh at yourself!  Sure, be ready to absorb what the instructor is teaching, but give yourself permission to have fun and not take yourself so seriously.  Absorb that special technique, the reason you came, and then figure out how to assimilate that technique into your own paintings.
My head is filled with ideas - we shall see how they actually come out on paper!

Friday I spent the entire day on the computer catching up with emails and other work related items, then off to a meeting in the evening. In other words, back to the grind!