WHITE PEONY 3

Throughout my background, I have used Nick Simmons’s technique of spraying off some of the paint just before it dries. This is one of those techniques that depends on timing (and luck!). I am pleased with how it worked in some areas, not in others. But since I used several layers, it wasn’t a problem – if I didn’t like it the first time, there were a couple more chances to get it right.



To introduce the background into the flower (to avoid that pasted on look) I used another of Nick’s techniques – the “sewing machine stitch”!!! I have to laugh at that one – it’s something I’m sure we have all done many times – I call it a broken line or running line!














I needed to eliminate what a friend said was a “pinwheel” look in the center of the flower. I did that by adding some cobalt and French ultramarine on the petals above and to the right of the center.


Additionally, since I had gotten some spots onto the flower during the spraying off process, I intentionally splattered a few edges and the background to tie it all together. (Also, a little sewing machine stitch).
Well, now it’s time to let it sit again and evaluate.