Steampunk Fashion : Interview with TotusMel from the Steamteam


Etsy: Your place to buy & sell all things handmade
TotusMel.etsy.com


Steampunk Fashion :
Interview with TotusMel from the Steamteam

Shop name : TotusMel Tats
Name : Pamela Quevedo
specialty : Tatted Jewelry and Accessories
Location : Merced, California

- Tell us a bit about yourself name, location, affiliations, personal stuff?
My name is Pamela, I'm a stay at home mom to two little girls. I've been tatting for about four years and I've been selling on Etsy for about three. I am currently a member of the Etsy street team and not much else.

Please describe your creative process how, when, materials, etc.
I tat off and on all day long. I sometimes start with vintage patterns, but often I am inspired by pieces done in entirely different mediums. My preferred material is simple cotton thread occasionally embellished with crystals.

Apart from creating things, what do you do?
When I'm not creating, I'm spending time with my family. We enjoy video games, comic books and movies.

How did you first become interested in the Steampunk Culture?
I found Steampunk through literature and anime movies many years ago. When I began tatting it seemed natural to emulate a Neo Victorian style that fits in well with the Steampunk style.

Why do you like it ?
I love the dichotomy of the culture. The new beside the old and the free interpretation of it all. It's a very welcoming and all inclusive environment and I've met so many interesting and adventurous people because of that.

What is your favourite piece of work by yourself?
My favorite pieces are always changing, but one of my favorites is the Portrait of An Elegant Lady. It was one of my first adaptions of a 40's era pattern. It was originally one half of a collar and the process of changing it to a necklace was very challenging and rewarding.

Portrait of an Elegant Lady



What are the 3 most popular items in your shop ?

A Kind Of Pale Jewel tatted mask.
I made this piece after someone made a request for a lace mask, they never bought. The mask has given me quite a lot of attention even a mention at boing boing

A Kind Of Pale Jewel tatted mask.


La Petite Goth Tatted Bracelet.
This piece was modified from a simple vintage edging pattern

La Petite Goth Tatted Bracelet.


Vive
la Reine necklace.
This one started as a vintage pattern for a chain covering that I added tatted chains to, to create an incredibly bold design

Vive la Reine necklace.


- What is your newest piece ?
I just finished making three new pieces that make up my new footwear line. I started with ankle corsets based on a pair of shoes by Vicente Rey that I spied on a blog. From there I created a pair of barefoot sandals as well.

- Who is you favorite Steampunk artist ?
I have too many favorites to mention!

- What Steampunk items do you cherish the most ?
Well, not to be silly, but I do adore my Catherinette Ring that my husband bought me for Christmas!

-What are your goal , projects & plans for the future ?
My goal is to always create new and compelling designs and continue to give as much exposure to tatting as I can. I am always working on new projects, but I never know which direction I'll go in next.

- Any promotion you would like to offer exclusively on the blog ?
I can offer free shipping . I'll offer it for the entire month of March, Just mention Steampunk Rings at checkout, shipping cost will be refunded through Paypal.

-Social Network & Where can we find you?
ETSY : http://totusmel.etsy.com
Blog : http://totusmel.blogspot.com
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/totusmel/
Other ? http://twitter.com/totusmel



Proud Member of the Steamteam on ETSY.com
You can search for the members goodies by typing Steamteam in the search engine .
This will allow you to see only the items of the Steamteam and browse throught items created by very talented Artist .